Property Maintenance

There seems to be a lot of confusion surrounding Gas Safety Certificates and Gas Safety Records, so we’ve written this post to help clear up any misconceptions. Gas Safety Certificates are now commonly known as a Gas Safety Record and they are provided by Gas Safe registered engineers to homeowners and landlords.

Gas Safety Records for Homeowners

Although homeowners are not legally required to have a Gas Safety Record, it may be a good idea when it comes to using appliances such as your cooker and boiler. With rates of carbon monoxide poisoning amongst children increasing, it may provide peace of mind.

If you would like a copy for safe keeping, ask your engineer to provide you with a Gas Safety Record once a check has been carried out.

Gas Safety Records for Landlords

As part of the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998, landlords are required by law to have a gas safety check carried out every year. All gas appliances and installations must be checked in every property that a landlord owns.

Once a check has been carried out, landlords will be given a Gas Safety Record. Also known as a CP12. You are required to provide each tenant in your property with a valid CP12 document within 28 days after the check. You must also keep a copy of the Gas Safety Record for two years after the date of the check.

Property Maintenance

If an appliance in a rented property is not owned by the landlord but owned by a tenant, the landlord is not responsible for ensuring it has had a valid gas safety check. You may however be responsible for the pipework that supplies the gas.

It is also a good idea to let tenants know how and where to turn off the main gas supply and what to do in the event of a suspected gas leak.

What Does a Gas Safety Record Contain?

  • A description of each appliance tested
  • The check results of each appliance tested
  • Any concerns or issues found in the safety check
  • A course of action to rectify any issues
  • Details of the engineer that carried out the check
  • The engineer’s signature and the date of the check
  • Details of the landlord and the property

How to Get a Gas Safety Record

Gas Safe registered engineers can provide Gas Safety Records after carrying out a gas safety check.

Central Gas Safety are fully qualified Gas Safe registered engineers who take care of gas safety checks for both homeowners and landlords. Our engineers can issue Gas Safety Records in Derby, Uttoxeter, and surrounding areas.


To the best of our knowledge, the information contained herein is accurate and reliable as of the date of publication. Please see for more information.