Carbon monoxide is widely known as the silent killer.

It is highly poisonous and cannot be detected by sight, smell or taste. Exposure to even low levels of CO can cause brain damage and death.

Carbon monoxide is produced by the incomplete combustion of gas, solid or liquid fuels. It arises from badly installed or poorly maintained gas appliances such as a damaged boiler, insufficient ventilation to the appliance, poor flue pipework and blocked chimneys.

Signs of carbon monoxide are yellow or brown stains around the appliance, pilot lights which blow out frequently and increased condensation inside windows.

Symptoms: Fatigue, headaches, flu like symptoms such as nausea, chest pains, sudden giddiness when standing up, sickness, diarrhoea and stomach pains. 

If you suspect carbon monoxide you should:

  • Switch off appliance
  • Open doors and windows
  • Visit your GP
  • Call Central Gas Safety immediately

Our Gas Safe Registered engineers have the equipment to test whether carbon monoxide is present within your property and identify where it is coming from.